April is Autism Awareness month. The occurrence of Autism is increasing and Northeast Arkansas needs funds to help support the ongoing need. When our association was founded in 2006, the occurrence of Autism was 1 in 110. In 2014, the national numbers are 1 in 68 with 1 in 65 being the occurrence in Arkansas.
The Autism Association of Northeast Arkansas (AANEA) is your local Autism support group. We are a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation, making all donations tax deductible in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service standards. All funds raised by AANEA are utilized to benefit our community and the 14 counties served.
We facilitate numerous programs to enrich the lives of both children and adults on the Autism Spectrum. Current programs include:
- SUPPORT GROUPS: Autism Association of NEA offers the Open Arms Support Group for individuals on the Autism Spectrum and their families.
- AUTISM TRAINING: Autism Association of NEA travels to our 14 counties and offers training classes on various topics to help spread Autism Awareness.
- SENSORY SANTA: For the past two years, we offer a quiet, line free option for families to bring their children with Sensory Processing Disorders to visit with Santa!
- SOCIAL SKILLS GROUPS: Thanks to a grant from Ag for Autism, we were able to host our first Social Skills Group. We plan to continue that program, partnering with Arkansas State, in April 2016.
- FUTURE PROGRAMS: AANEA is currently developing a Family Resource Center to allow individuals to have access to computers for research and projects including story boards, social stories, task charts or visual schedules. We also want to host ‘make and take’ parties for families to attend and leave with a completed project!
Each year, AANEA holds an Autism Walk & Family Fun Day to help fund these programs. This year’s 9th annual walk will be held April 2 at the Jonesboro High School. We would like to ask you to help us reach our goal in one of five ways:
- Become a SPONSOR and your logo will be placed on our event t-shirt (average attendance is 300)
- Donate an item or service to be sold at our SILENT AUCTION
- Host a VENDOR BOOTH at the walk
- Make a MONETARY DONATION
- Host an “Autism Awareness” EVENT at your business for profits to be given to AANEA.
AANEA appreciates your willingness to assist us in achieving our goals. Thank you in advance for your support and we look forward to hearing how you will help us support Autism Awareness!
AANEA board members and Volunteers